Monday, April 14, 2014

Canberra Marathon: 3.55.01

Great running conditions on Sunday for the marathon. A challenging course with plenty of short rolling inclines that were not that not that steep you would  call a hill and all runnable and long enough that meant they took an effort that by the time some came well into the second half they become very fatiguing. As far as the vollies, drink stations etc affected me no issues.

After very fatigued affected marathon the week before in 5.22 I had no idea what would happen in this one.I only ran once in week and that was about 10k all up on Wednesday.  After last weekends marathon and talking to Jane on the drive home I had decided to start and stay with her, being the 4.30 pacer. Like a lot of race plans that lasted about 2k. 
 
I was feeling okay and decided to move ahead of the 4.30 pace group but always thinking it was not only possible but likely I would fade and at some stage I would be be swallowed by and passed by that group. :Praying:  I knew I would  I would then then get an earful from Jane for the brain snap at 2k.
Knowing the risk of a massive slow down was very possible I still moved took it and moved ahead of the 4.30 pace group. I took it slowly and I did not reach the back 4.00 hour pacer until  about 10k. And that is where I stayed lurking for the next 10k. After that I ever so gradually moved towards the front pacer of that group. The pacers where maybe 200 meters apart and I thought maybe one was running gun time and the other chip. Anyway it didn't really matter. I  caught and passed the front pacer at about 33k. 
 
The further the race went the stronger I able to just slightly increase my pace over the last 12k My 10k split form 30 - 40k was my quickest.  Also I moved from 659th  at 30k to 511th overall place.  The split from 30k to finish split being 295th - muck quicker than my overall finishing position. 
 
I am always pleased to have a strong finish. I never ask the question about whether I finished with something in the tank. I finished strong and I am pleased with that and that the expected slow down did not happen. Also pleased to be almost 90 minutes faster than least week.

A few weeks to give the body some more time to recover before the next marathon on 4th May in the bush in southern Sydney.

3 comments:

Gadfly said...

So glad it came together Ray - but jeepers, risking an earful from Jane - you're a brave man! Rest up, (if your system allows you to), and hope that the side effects reduce, and your energy continues to return...to match your determination! x

autismmum said...

Glad to read that you felt much better on this marathon. A truly inspirational effort. You remind me of my mum who was working out at the gym during the time she was receiving radiotherapy for breast cancer. I truly think it helped her with her recovery. All the best for your next marathon.

Ewen said...

Great running Ray. Sorry I missed you on the day - not the friendliest spectator course - only saw the runners twice.